Sunday, August 25, 2013

Henry Ford and Education



I would like to relate this to Education.  Over the last eight years, I have spent hours trying to create "better tests" (faster horses).  In the last two years, I started to question "Is there a limitation to these tests?"

Just like horses, you can create better tests, but there will always be limitations as to what you can do with these assessments.  Whether it is FOR or OF learning, tests, by their design, they can only give us a snapshot as to what a child can do.  As well, most tests limit the amount of knowledge a child can demonstrate to the knowledge of the test creator.

I often wonder, what if educators were like Henry Ford, and instead of making better tests they started working on something different?

Working with this question for quite some time, I have assessed students quite drastically in my class.  I refused to make "faster horses" and instead started working on "a car" for assessment.

First, I personalized assessment in my classes.
Next, I abolished grades in some classes.
Lastly, I even made my final exam a learning experience.

For a more in depth look, you can read through the links, for a quick snapshot here is what I have changed..

  • Students should be able to learn, and be assessed, at their own pace.
  • Students should be able to be assessed, retaught, and reassessed as many times as needed.
  • A multiple choice, numerical response, and written response test does not allow for as much creativity as an open ended, performance based assessment could.
  • Student choice, in how to demonstrate their knowledge, can allow students to bring their interests and passions into their own learning.
  • Students are more proud of work that is too large to fit on the fridge.

Were there problems with the first ford? Of course!  I do not think that my approach is the BEST, and just as a car still has limitations, so does this new approach towards assessment.  Just like a car and horse, my approach has the same goals as traditional assessments; to teach and assess students.  The difference...students in my class enjoy this new approach, and when I survey them at the end of each course 99% of them prefer this new assessment strategy compared to traditional assessments.

This journey has required me to ponder, as Henry Ford did, if we continue to think in the same mindset as all the people before us, all we will ever have is something a little quicker.  However, if we realize that our past knowledge may be holding us back, then we may create something more effective and efficient than we could ever imagine.

Lastly, as you read this I will leave you with another Henry Ford quote...

WHETHER YOU THINK YOU CAN OR YOU THINK YOU CAN'T-YOU'RE RIGHT- Henry Ford

19 comments:

  1. David,

    I attended your session at Convention and was blown away by the simplicity of the concept. I put it into practice immediately with my Math 31 students and they had a much greater level of confidence about their learning and demonstrating it in Calculus. I also think that this method strives to maintain formative assessment in a manner that is TRULY effective. This method lends itself extremely well to Math 10C POS. I am definitely on board with SLOWLY integrating it into all my programs of study.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my first visit to your web journal! We are a group of volunteers and new activities in the same specialty. Website gave us helpful data to work. henry ford quotes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your blog posts. After all I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again soon! ALL LIVE RADIO

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have performed a great job on this article. It’s very precise and highly qualitative. You have even managed to make it readable and easy to read. You have some real writing talent. Thank you so much. j'accuse

    ReplyDelete
  5. This type of message always inspiring and I prefer to read quality content, so happy to find good place to many here in the post, the writing is just great, thanks for the post. upvc profile manufacturers in India

    ReplyDelete
  6. Most of the time I don’t make comments on websites, but I'd like to say that this article really forced me to do so. Really nice post! Onde comprar cytotec

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Critical Request Chains underneath explain to you what methods are loaded with a substantial precedence. situs bet88

    ReplyDelete
  8. Consider lowering the length of chains, cutting down the down load size of assets, poker idn

    ReplyDelete
  9. or deferring the obtain of unwanted resources to enhance website page load. Learn more. poker

    ReplyDelete
  10. Utilize the intensity of World wide web dependent life. Include Facebook programs to the site that will entice articles and make minimal motivators for people who sign up for. judi slot

    ReplyDelete
  11. taekwondo in blue springs mo
    It is important for a forthcoming on the web extra educator to figure out how to utilize a PC on the grounds that so as to train college and college understudies took a crack at online college courses an online teacher will be required to move easily all through numerous computerized interfaces. T

    ReplyDelete
  12. Next, this teacher will address the emotional state of student, seeking first to mitigate any Red Zones before coaching the student around the behaviour. https://www.quibblo.com/story/DlvR-8lS/What-are-the-ways-to-develop-a-plan-to-learn-driving-efficiently

    ReplyDelete
  13. For most undergraduate programs in colleges in the US, high school students will need to take a standard exam like the SAT or the ACT. This exam is bound to include a timed essay - it rarely takes more than thirty minutes. Consider these tips on writing a passing essay for your next standardized entrance exam. essay help

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nonetheless, it leaves in its path the incapacitating impact traded off quality. PhD

    ReplyDelete
  15. Got the weekend homework blues? Do not fret. Leave the homework to us. Be it research papers, discussions, questions and bibliographies, PowerPoint presentations. TakeMyclassPro and select the details

    ReplyDelete
  16. Got the weekend homework blues? Do not fret. Leave the homework to us. Be it research papers, discussions, questions and bibliographies, PowerPoint presentations. Go to SpiderEssay

    ReplyDelete
  17. https://comprarcytotecbrazil.com/ comprar cytotec

    ReplyDelete
  18. Comprar Cytotec com a certeza de um serviço de qualidade. Garantimos a rapidez na entrega, preços justos e um atendimento ao cliente de excelência."

    ReplyDelete